If you’re looking for a fun and easy science experiment to do with your kids, look no further than the play dough volcano! This classic experiment is not only a blast for kids of all ages, but it’s also a great way to teach them about the wonders of volcanoes. Plus, who doesn’t love playing with play doh? Read on to learn how to make your own play doh volcano.
Ingredients Needed to Make a Play Dough Volcano:
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Cream of Tartar
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- Red, Brown, and Orange food Coloring
Supplies Needed to Make a Play Dough Volcano:
- Mini Rolling Pin
- Plastic Knife
- Plastic Fork
- Optional supplies for playtime: Small toys, toy dinosaurs, plastic trees or fern leaves from the craft store, egg-shaped rocks, blue crystal pebbles
Directions to make Homemade Play Dough:
1. Add the flour, salt and cream of tartar to a medium mixing bowl. Whisk to combine the ingredients and set aside.
2. Pour the water into a medium sauce pan. Add the vegetable oil and stir to combine.
3. Place the sauce pan on your stove top and heat until boiling. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the flour mixture to the water and stir continuously until a thick lump of dough forms. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before handling.
4. Separate the cooled dough into 2 equal parts. Take one of the parts and divide it in half. Add a few drops of brown food coloring to the large piece of dough. Add orange food coloring to one of the smaller pieces. Finally, add red food coloring to the remaining piece.
5. Knead each piece of dough for about 5 minutes to distribute the color evenly.
6. To make the base of the volcano, shape the brown playdough into a medium sized tower.
7. Using a plastic knife, cut off the top of the volcano and cut out a portion of the inside of the volcano so it looks like it is hollow inside.
8. Using a fork, make ridges all along the outside of the volcano.
9. Using a mini roller, roll out the red and orange playdough until it’s about 1/4 inch think.
10. Using the plastic knife, cut out pieces that look like “flowing lava.”
11. Place on the sides of the volcano.
12. Repeat process with the orange play dough to give another layer of color to the volcano.
This DIY craft can create hours of fun for your child. Add moss to the side of the volcano. Sprinkle rocks around the volcano and scatter dinosaurs all over the area. ENJOY!!!
This volcano is a classic play doh building activity that is perfect for kids of all ages. (The pebble rocks would only be appropriate for kids old enough to not place objects in their mouth). This is an easy play doh volcano to make with just a small about of help and guidance from an adult. Your kids will love building this volcano. You could also incorporate a lesson about volcanos and their eruptions for the older kids that would enjoy learning more about volcano patterns. Also check out our other fun play doh activities such as How to Make Edible Lemon Play dough, How to make Edible Disney Themed Play Dough, Play Doh Crayon Craft (How to Make Crayon Playdoh, 16 Playdough Mats Printable Shapes for Preschoolers, and Play doh Mat Fun for Preschoolers (Free Printable). And for more fun playdoh ideas, check out play doh videos here.