Teach a quick and fun science lesson with the Apple Volcano/Vinegar and Baking Soda Science Activity. The activity is a great way to get children to learn more while using items you already have at home.
Are you always looking for different ways to teach your children more about science? If you like to complete various experiments together, the Apple Volcano/Vinegar and Baking Soda Science Activity is one of those quick, fun, and easy experiments that you do not want to miss out on doing. You can complete this activity with your children in 30 minutes or less. Offer your children a hands-on experience that they will remember for years to come. You will only need an apple, vinegar, and a few other items to do this activity and show your children exactly how certain chemicals react when combined.
The Supplies You Will Need to Have to Complete the Science Activity
You will not need much to complete the Apple Volcano/Vinegar and Baking Soda Science Activity. The supplies required are ones that you probably have at home, including:
- White Vinegar. You will add white vinegar to the inside of your apple to create a reaction that is sure to impress your little ones.
- Apple. Use any type of apple that you have at home. Just make sure you can quickly and easily remove its core!
- Baking Soda. The baking soda helps create a reaction when combined with the vinegar, so it is a must-have when completing this science activity.
- Melon Baller. Use a melon baller to remove the core from the apple to have space for the vinegar and baking soda.
- Food Coloring. Although it is optional, food coloring makes the volcano look even better. You can let your children select the color to use.
With just five items needed to complete the Apple Volcano/Vinegar and Baking Soda Science Activity, you can quickly see why it is just that simple to make. Carefully core your apple with the melon baller and get ready to have fun with this experiment.
Using a melon baller, remove the core from the apple without removing the bottom so there is a cavity inside the apple.
Add baking soda to the apple’s cavity.
If using food coloring, add the food coloring.
Pour vinegar over the baking soda and watch the eruption.
The end result is so cool!
Benefits of Doing the Apple Volcano/Vinegar and Baking Soda Science Activity
The Apple Volcano/Vinegar and Baking Soda Science Activity will show children what happens when different chemicals get put together. The purpose of the activity is to help children learn more about chemical reactions. The activity is simple enough for young children to get involved and help out with the process of putting it all together and watching as the apple turns into a volcano right in front of their eyes.
While you may need to use the melon baller to remove the core, you can let your children pour in the ingredients to see what kind of reaction they will get from it. The experience is a fun one that will change a child’s perception of science for the better. If you have multiple children, consider supplying each one with an apple without its core to allow them to add the baking soda and vinegar by themselves.
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- Food coloring, if desired
- 1 apple
- You will also need: Melon baller
- Using a melon baller, remove the core from the apple without removing the bottom so there is a cavity inside the apple.
- Add baking soda to the apple’s cavity.
- If using food coloring, add the food coloring.
- Pour vinegar over the baking soda and watch the eruption.